[real-eyes] Re: question about carbonite

  • From: "Steve" <kcpadfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:58:31 -0600

The only thing I've heard may not be of concern to some people.  When you
are having carbonite backup or restore your files from your computer, the
transfer is encrypted, so others can't access the info while it is being
transmitted.

If however, you access your backed up or stored files while on a computer
other than your own, that you use carbonite on, the transfered files are not
encrypted during the download to that other computer.

Mainly its a concern only if you've got files you want to make sure they
aren't intercepted by a third party.

Also, if requested by a court order, carbonite can unencrypt your files
stored on their service and release any and all info to a court or law
enforcement agency.

My only concern with any online backup service, is what happens when they go
out of business someday and you no longer have access to your backed up
files.

Steve