[real-eyes] ot Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D fight macular disease

  • From: "Jose" <crunch1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "real eyes list" <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 07:18:07 -0500

I am sorry for posting off topic however I think some of us on this list
might benfit from the following info.
I love web text reader, this is the program I used to get this story.

Monday, May 14th, 6:56 PM Eastern Time.
Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D fight macular disease: research.
WASHINGTON (AFP) ,  The risk of macular degeneration, which causes blindness
in aging people,
can be lowered by greater consumption of vitamin D and foods like oily fish
that have high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, according to new studies
released Monday.

Macular degeneration involves the deterioration of the macula, located in
the back of the retina and responsible for the acuity of a person's central
vision, and occurs mostly in aging men and women.

It affects more than seven million people in the United States over 40 years
old, and with no clear way to prevent its onset.

But scientists in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group,
supported by the national Institutes of Health,
found people who consume more omega-3 fatty acids -- found in large amounts
in fish like tuna and salmon -- have a lower incidence of advanced
age-related macular degeneration (AMD),
according to a summary of the study.

They also found that those who show higher blood levels of vitamin D appear
to have a lower chance of the early stages of AMD.

"Milk intake was inversely associated with early AMD.
Fish intake was inversely associated with advanced AMD," they said.

The research group studied 4,519 people who were between 60 and 80 when the
study began in the 1990s.
Of them, 1,115 had no AMD symptoms at the beginning, while 658 had severe
AMD.

The researchers found that those in the first group had high levels of
omega-3 fatty acid consumption while those with severe AMD had corresponding
low levels.

"Eating more than two medium (4-ounce, 110 grams) servings of fish per week
or more than one medium serving of broiled or baked fish was associated with
the lowest risk for advanced AMD," the researchers said.

They postulated that the fatty acids may protect the retina by promoting
cell survival and the functioning of blood vessels, as well as affecting
specific gene activation.

The vitamin D study results meanwhile suggested that vitamin D might reduce
inflammation of the retina, or prevent the growth of new blood vessels,
which contributes to some types of AMD, the scientists said.

The two studies are published in the May issue of Archives of Opthamology.

End of story.
Copyright 2007 Agence France Presse.
All rights reserved.
The information contained in the AFP News report may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of
Agence France Presse.

End of file.

From Jose
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will
counsel you with My eye upon you."
Psalm 32:8

   Let the machine do the dirty work.  - Elements of Programming Style