[real-eyes] latest trick with spinrite

  • From: blindbites <blindbites@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 06:54:26 -0500

Hi,
I've mentioned on here that I love this great hard disk recovery and
maintenance program called spinrite from grc.com

The program has to be run in dos, and unless you've got an external
synthesizer and dos screen reader, it can be difficult to use, unless
you have a few tricks up your sleeve.

I now have a way to find out when spinrite is done with its process. I
have read and know that when the process is done, the screen will turn
green, its usually blue while it is doing maintenance or recovery
operations.

This is one of those things I didn't think of, until just like in a
cartoon, that light bulb appeared above my head. I installed a color ID
app on my phone and use it to detect what color the screen is.
You have to try several places on the monitor, as with today's screens
and running old dos based programs, the program doesn't use the full screen.
So I check the color at several places, typically in the middle and when
I find the same color in several different places, in this case, green,
I know that the process is done and I can restart the computer without
the external USB floppy drive plugged in.

If I find blue in the same way, I know that things are still running.
Just thought I'd share this discovery. BTW I have a list of keystrokes
to start spinrite that I have saved on all of our computers for reference.

Steve