[real-eyes] free screen reader

  • From: Steven Clark <kcpadfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:27:42 -0600

Here's some info about a really good and open source screen  reader.  It
has both a talking install and a mobile version that can be run  from a
USB flash drive.  I keep it around on a USB drive, one just to play with
and to keep around should I simply just need it on my own or another
computer.
Steve

NonVisual Desktop Access
One tip to anyone who uses this.  The default speech synthesizer is
horrible.  In the menus you can easily switch to a different synthesizer
that is much easier to understand.
http://www.nvda-project.org/
About NVDA
General Features
Providing feedback by synthetic speech, NVDA allows blind and vision
impaired people
to access and interact with the Windows operating system and many third
party applications.
Major highlights include:
Ability to run entirely from a USB stick or other portable media without the
need
for installation
Browsing the web with
Mozilla Firefox 3
Easy to use talking installer
Working with email using
Mozilla Thunderbird 3
Early support for Microsoft Internet Explorer
Basic support for Microsoft Outlook Express / Windows Mail
Basic support for Microsoft Word and Excel
Support for accessible Java applications
Early support for Adobe Reader
Early support for IBM Lotus Symphony
support for Windows Command Prompt and console applications
Automatic announcement of text under the mouse and optional audible
indication of
the mouse position
Internationalization
It is important that people anywhere in the world, no matter what language
they speak,
get the same access to technologies. NVDA currently has been translated into
over
20 languages.