[real-eyes] Re: No dogs in shopping carts: service dog owners hail clarification of ADA rules - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

  • From: Sheila Styron <sheilastyron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 19:25:29 -0500

It was extremely important to many of the individuals with disabilities who
originally conceived of the act that people with disabilities should not be
required to provide papers in any circumstance. As to your suggestion about
business is calling training programs, The ADA provides for people to train
their own service animals, so there is no way to verify whether or not the
animal has actually been trained to perform tasks that mitigate someone's
disabilities. Lots of loopholes.

Best, Sheila
816-896-6552

On Jul 18, 2015, at 7:13 PM, Mitchell Lynn <mitch.lynn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Essentially, this issue with dogs in shopping carts means very little
then. I would be willing to bet your average store personnel would not
intuit the distinction between "service dog" and "therapy dog." Wouldn't
it be just as easy to require all schools to provide ID cards picturing
the animal and its handler? There need not be any personal info regards
the disability, and if the clerk needed further clarification, he/she
could call the number on the card and give an ID number to verify the
legitimacy and authenticity of the team.

On 07/18/15 6:38 PM, Sheila Styron wrote:
Actually, the ADA does the opposite of require certification. I have been at
presentations with the civil rights division where they have stated that
there is no good model or entity out there on which to base requirements. The
ADA actually only allows for businesses to ask two questions, is the dog a
service animal and how has it been trained to mitigate the effects of your
disability. DOJ repeatedly asserts that they have no intention of requiring
certification, even though the businesses, the public and service animal
handlers are all thoroughly confused, do two completely separate sets of
regulations promulgated by DOJ housing and DOT.

Best, Sheila
816-896-6552

On Jul 18, 2015, at 12:36 PM, Mitchell Lynn <mitch.lynn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Second article also terrific. Couldn't agree more with her point of view
and sentiments. Therapy dog!? expletive!!! "Can't ask of disability for
fear of litigation." Exactly. Think I will acquire a pit viper and claim
it is my therapist.

Is there anything in ADA that specifies that all service animals must
have a photo ID of service animal and owner--in other words a sort of
license? Certification is a better choice of words. IDs can, of course,
be forged, but if proprietors, managers and clerks were more in the
habit of checking those IDs to the point of calling the school who
trained the team, then there would be a way to enforce the law. It's a
federal offense to pass an animal off as a service dog. What is the
penalty? If involves a fine, then set it up so that part of that fine is
issued to whomever made the report as a reward. That might help people
think twice about "turning a blind eye."

On 07/18/15 11:44 AM, Amy Rowson wrote:
H's the mobile link.
http://dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID7750
And here's another article I found while searching for this one.
http://thesunbreak.com/2012/02/22/no-more-dogs-in-grocery-stores/

Amy

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2015, at 10:44 AM, Sheila Styron <sheilastyron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is a particular interest of mine. So if someone can get it to come up,
can you please paste it into the body of the message. I cannot make it work
either.

Best, Sheila
816-896-6552

On Jul 18, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Mitchell Lynn <mitch.lynn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Terrific article once it finally came up. Not sure what is going on
with that page, but it took four visits for that article to show. Each
time there was something different.

This is one of the few blindness related issues that really hacks me off.

We can cheer the clarification, but that doesn't mean anything will come
of it. The problem isn't service dogs riding in carts; it is selfish,
thoughtless entitlement-minded people representing themselves and their
animals as something they are not. In a word, it is a menace.

On 07/18/15 7:14 AM, T L wrote:

http://dcourier.com/Main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID7750interesting
information for all of you who use a service dog

Sent from my iPhoneTo subscribe or to leave the list, or to set other
subscription options, go to www.freelists.org/list/real-eyes

.