[real-eyes] Mac OS X backdoor Trojan, now in beta?

  • From: Steven Clark <kcpadfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 08:13:23 -0600

The following is from:
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/02/26/mac-os-x-backdoor-trojan-now-in-beta/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nakedsecurity+%28Naked+Security+-+Sophos%29

Mac OS X backdoor Trojan, now in beta?
by
Chester Wisniewski
  on February 26, 2011  |

FILED UNDER:
Apple
,
Featured
,
Malware
It appears there is a new backdoor Trojan in town and it targets users
of Mac OS
X. As even the malware itself admits, it is not yet finished, but it
could be indicative
of more underground programmers taking note of Apple's increasing market
share.
SophosLabs analyzed the sample we received and determined that it is a
variant of
a well-known Remote Access Trojan (RAT) for Windows known as darkComet,
although
the Trojan's creator appears to be keen to call it BackHole RAT.
The Mac OS X version is very basic and there appears to be a mix of
German and English
in the user interface. Its functions include:
* Placing text files on the desktop
* Sending a restart, shutdown or sleep command
* Running arbitrary shell commands
* Placing a full screen window with a message that only allows you to
click reboot
* Sending URLs to the client to open a website
* Popping up a fake "Administrator Password" window to phish the target
Screenshot of fake Admin credentials dialog
Here is an excerpt from the default text that is displayed in the full
screen window
with the reboot button:
"I am a Trojan Horse, so i have infected your Mac Computer. I know, most
people think
Macs can't be infected, but look, you ARE Infected!
I have full controll over your Computer and i can do everything I want,
and you can
do nothing to prevent it.
So, Im a very new Virus, under Development, so there will be much more
functions
when im finished."
SophosLabs has published protection for our customers as
OSX/MusMinim-A
. Trojans like this are frequently distributed through pirated software
downloads,
torrent sites, or anywhere you may download an application expecting to
need to install
it.
It could also be dropped by a vulnerability in your browser, plugins and
other applications.
Patching is an important part of protection on all platforms.
Fortunately our products can detect and remove Trojans like this, and
for home use
they're free! If you would like to install Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac
Home Edition,
click on the banner below.
DownloadFree Anti-Virus for Mac Download Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home
Edition
http://www.sophos.com/freemacav