[real-eyes] Re: Listen and Learn

  • From: "Mitchell D. Lynn" <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:12:51 -0500

We are still learning about the changes regards privacy and interpersonal
relationships. But I agree.

I signed up on FB, but I almost never log in. The interface is a prodigious
mess from my perspective, and I just don't care enough about it to try and
learn it. My teenagers are into it, and I wanted to see what it was all
about before letting them have their pages without restrictions. It's an
interesting means of keeping in touch with people, but I am not sure it is
as good as or better than pen and paper or the telephone. Being "in touch"
with someone doesn't mandate that that contact is necessarily salutary or
productive for either party. There are already studies on the impact of
E-mail and its impact on social and communication skills. I suspect that
whatever impact there has been by those will be exacerbated by instant
messaging and FB. None of this even approaches security concerns these media
bring to the foreground.

I think it is probably a good thing that my kids can stay in touch with the
friends they made at summer camp. I approve of and encourage that. I
encouraged them to use postal mail first. I think it sucks that my then 17
year old daughter was dumped by her then boyfriend on FB. And I think it is
pretty easy to give away some piece of information unwittingly that can be
exploited by miscreants: see the gal in Indiana a couple months back who
posted she was going to a concert that evening. Her house was burgled while
she was gone. A security cam caught the guy on film, and it turned out he
was one of her FB friends. Just posting that you are a fan of some
institution, organization or even a church might be enough to set yourself
up as a target.