[real-eyes] Is Your Computer Listed “For Rent”?

  • From: Steven Clark <kcpadfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:07:19 -0500

The following is from Krebs On Security www.krebsonsecurity.com
Is Your Computer Listed “For Rent”?
When it’s time to book a vacation or a quick getaway, many of us turn to
travel reservation
sites like Expedia, Travelocity and other comparison services. But
there’s a cybercrime-friendly
booking service that is not well-known. When cyber crooks want to get
away — with
a crime — increasingly they are turning to underground online booking
services that
make it easy for crooks to rent hacked PCs that can help them ply their
trade anonymously.
We often hear about hacked, remote-controlled PCs or “bots” being used
to send spam
or to host malicious Web sites, but seldom do security researchers delve
into the
mechanics behind one of the most basic uses for a bot: To serve as a
node in an anonymization
service that allows paying customers to proxy their Internet connections
through
one or more compromised systems.
proxychoose
As I noted in
a Washington Post column
  in 2008, “this type of service is especially appealing to criminals
looking to fleece
bank accounts at institutions that conduct rudimentary Internet address
checks to
ensure that the person accessing an account is indeed logged on from the
legitimate
customer’s geographic region, as opposed to say, Odessa, Ukraine.”
Scammers have
been using proxies forever it seems, but it’s interesting that it is so
easy to find
victims, once you are a user of the anonymization service.
Here’s an overview of one of the more advanced anonymity networks on the
market,
an invite-only subscription service marketed on several key underground
cyber crime
forums.
When I tested this service, it had more than 4,100 bot proxies available
in 75 countries,
although the bulk of the hacked PCs being sold or rented were in the
United States
and the United Kingdom. Also, the number of available proxies fluctuates
daily, peaking
during normal business hours in the United States. Drilling down into
the U.S. map
(see image above), users can select proxies by state, or use the
box, which allows customers to select bots based on city, IP range,
Internet provider,
and connection speed. This service also includes a fairly active
Russian-language
customer support forum. Customers can use the service after paying a
one-time $150
registration fee (security deposit?) via a virtual currency such as
WebMoney
  or
Liberty Reserve
. After that, individual botted systems can be rented for about a dollar
a day, or
“purchased” for exclusive use for slightly more.
I tried to locate some owners of the hacked machines being rented via
this service.
Initially this presented a challenge because the majority of the proxies
listed are
compromised PCs hooked up to home or small business cable modem or DSL
connections.
As you can see from the screenshot below, the only identifying
information for these
systems was the IP address and host name. And although so-called
“geo-location” services
can plot the approximate location of an Internet address, these services
are not
exact and are sometimes way off.
saccount
I started poking through the listings for proxies that had meaningful
host names,
such as the domain name of a business. It wasn’t long before I stumbled
upon the
Web site for
The Securities Group LLC
, a Memphis, Tenn. based privately held broker/dealer firm specializing
in healthcare
partnerships with physicians. According to
the company’s site
, “TSG has raised over $100,000,000 having syndicated over 200
healthcare projects
including whole hospital exemptions, ambulatory surgery centers,
surgical hospitals,
PET Imaging facilities, CATH labs and a prostate cancer supplement LLC
with up to
400 physician investors.” The proxy being sold by the anonymization
service was tied
to the Internet address of TSG’s email server, and to the Web site for the
Kirby Pines Retirement Community
, also in Memphis.
thesecuritiesgroup
Michelle Trammell, associate director of Kirby Pines and president of
TSG, said she
was unaware that her computer systems were being sold to cyber crooks
when I first
contacted her this week. I later heard from
Steve Cunningham
  from
  ProTech Talent & Technology
, an IT services firm in Memphis that was recently called in to help
secure the network.
Cunningham said an anti-virus scan of the TSG and retirement community
machines showed
that one of the machines was hijacked by a spam bot that was removed
about two weeks
before I contacted him, but he said he had no idea the network was still
being exploited
by cyber crooks. “Some malware was found that was sending out spam,”
Cunningham said,
“It looks like they didn’t have a very comprehensive security system in
place, but
we’re going to be updating [PCs] and installing some anti-virus software
on all of
the servers over the next week or so.”
Other organizations whose IP addresses and host names showed up in the
anonymization
service include apparel chain
The Limited;
Santiam Memorial Hospital
  in Stayton, Ore.; Salem, Mass. based
North Shore Medical Center
; marketing communications firm
McCann-Erickson Worldwide; and the
Greater Reno-Tahoe Economic Development Authority
.
Anonymization services add another obstacle on the increasingly complex
paths of
botnets. As I have often reported, tracing botnets to their masters is
difficult
at best and
can be a Sisyphean task
. And as TSG’s experience shows, it’s far easier to keep a PC up to date
with the
latest security protections than it is to sanitize a computer once a bot
takes over.