[real-eyes] Info about the new DAISY Talking Book Player

  • From: "Jim Fettgather" <jimkc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:43:46 -0500

Below is a message regarding the new NLS DAISY players from reader advisor and
librarian William Graczyk

Wgracz@xxxxxxx>
10/23/2006 10:36 AM >>>
I am on the National Library Service's National Audio Equipment Advisory
Committee, and after the Committee met last month, Michael Katzmann (Acting
Chief, NLS Materials Development Division) sent committee members two pictures
of the nearly-final prototypes of the DTB cartridge, mailing container and
player. He encouraged committee members
to spread the news of the progress that has been made in the digital talking
book program so I posted the pictures on my web site.  I also wrote up a very
detailed  (though still not comprehensive) description of the player and
cartridge that may be useful to folks who cannot see the images at all.  After
spending two and a half days test-driving the player and DTB last month, I want
to say emphatically that they are going to be well worth the wait. Note that
the prototype lacks the braille and raised letter embossing that will be on the
final versions.
Congress willing, there's only one more federal fiscal year to wait!

The images and descriptions are at:

http://blindreaders.info/dtb.html

Bill Graczyk

William Graczyk
Reader Advisor and Braille Librarian
Wisconsin Regional Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped