[real-eyes] I am not sure of how many of you are musicians but, for those that might be interested in an accessible talkbox

  • From: "Duyahn Walker" <themusicman1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:50:10 -0500

Hello folks!

About five years ago, I sparked my interest up again about an instrument
that has been in music for years. This instrument is known as, the talkbox.
There are many different talkboxes out there today. Lots of them are custom
made, and those that are sold in music retail stores such as Big dudes, and
Musicians friend. Wait! Your probably asking yourself, "What's a talkbox?"
It is a device that was made very famous in the music business by people
such as, Joe Parry, Joe Walsh, Richie Samborrah, Dave Grawl, and the man who
is responsible for putting it in to rock and roll in the first place, Peter
Frampton. I once owned a custom made talkbox but, I didn't have it for very
long. For one thing, you had to see in order to hook it up to your amp. Yes,
you had a speaker, that you hooked to the back of your amp, then you have a
tube that goes on top of the speaker driver and in to your mouth with your
instrument hooked to the front of your amp.
Sounds confusing? Trust me, I know.
Well? Talkboxes have been around for years and, I just happened to stumble
upon one that caught my attention and interest. I bought this particular
talkbox at Musicians friend in Kansas City at the time. Most of you who know
me, know that I am a great big fan of the late Roger Troutman. I am also a
fan of his late son Roger Jr. Well? Roger Jr. is why I write this post in
the first place believe it or not. He did not use a custom made talkbox
because he said he wanted to be different, and plus, he didn't know how to
make custom made boxes like his father. He used, a Rocktron Banshee talkbox.
This gentleman was not blind however, of course he could see. But, this
particular talkbox sparked my interest as I said. The price for one of these
is $149.99. This talkbox has everything you need all compact in one little
device. It comes with the ac power adaptor, tube, and the box. Patch chord
sold separately. On the top of the box, there are several things on it.
The first thing is called the by-pass switch. You can push down on this and
if your hooked up to a keyboard, and or guitar, this switch will by-pass the
talkbox effect and allow you to play your instrument as a normal instrument.
If you were to feel straight back on the back, there are three knobs going
from left to right.
They are for your gain, tone, and volume.
Gain, is the first knob on your left, tone is the middle knob, and then your
volume knob is the third one on the right.
There are four jacks on the sides of the box. Two jacks per side.
The first two jacks on the left side of the box are for an amp, and a
speaker cabinet unit.
Feeling on the left side of the box, the first jack you run in to is for the
speaker cabinet unit.
This takes a quarter inch plug.
The second jack you will feel directly behind it is for your amplifier. This
also takes a quarter inch plug.
Going over to the right of the box, there will be two more jacks.
The first jack you will run in to is for the patch chord. This takes a
quarter inch plug.
The last and final jack is the AC adaptor jack. The talkbox comes with this
adaptor and you just plug it in to the box, and the otherside in to the wall
outlet.
I use this talkbox with a Yamaha dx27 keyboard. If anyone wants an audio
demo of this sometime, please let me know and if you have any questions, you
can ask them. I would be more then happy to answer them. Sorry this post was
so long. But, I thought anyone who wanted to use a talkbox can now use one
with great pride. This is why I call it the accessible talkbox.

Duyahn