[real-eyes] HOW TO SETUP GOOGLE DNS

  • From: blindbites <blindbites@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, nutkc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:10:15 -0500

There are some great security benefits to using google's dns servers.
Google is constantly searching for malware and when it finds an infected
site, it is flagged and if you have your dns settings set to use
google's dns server, google will prevent your computer from going to a
site it has flagged. Since google is constantly searching, once it
detects the threat no longer exists, it will allow you to go to that
site again.
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
One note: you can ignore the IP V6 settings on the page, as they really
don't apply for now.

Below is text from the page about google dns.
Configuring your network settings to use Google Public DNS
When you use Google Public DNS, you are changing your DNS "switchboard"
operator
from your ISP to Google Public DNS.
In most cases, the IP addresses used by your ISP's domain name servers
are automatically
set by your ISP via the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). To
use Google
Public DNS, you need to explicitly change the DNS settings in your
operating system
or device to use the Google Public DNS IP addresses. The procedure for
changing your
DNS settings varies according to operating system and version (Windows,
Mac or Linux)
or the device (computer, phone, or router). We give general procedures
here that
might not apply for your OS or device; please consult your vendor
documentation for
authoritative information.
Note: We recommend that only users who are proficient with configuring
operating
system settings make these changes.
Important: Before you start
Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS, be sure to
write down
the current server addresses or settings on a piece of paper. It is very
important
that you keep these numbers for backup purposes, in case you need to
revert to them
at any time.
After changing your settings, if you encounter a problem and cannot
connect to the
Internet, please call our
support numbers
  for troubleshooting instructions.
We also recommend that you
download this page
  and print it, in the event that you encounter a problem and need to
refer to these
instructions.
Google Public DNS telephone support
877-590-4367 in the U.S.
770-200-1201 outside the U.S.
Google Public DNS IP addresses
The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:
2001:4860:4860::8888
2001:4860:4860::8844
You can use either number as your primary or secondary DNS server. You
can specify
both numbers, but do not specify one number as both primary and secondary.
You can configure Google Public DNS addresses for either IPv4 or IPv6
connections,
or both.
Changing your DNS servers settings
Because the instructions differ between different versions/releases of
each operating
system, we only give one version as an example. If you need specific
instructions
for your operating system/version, please consult your vendor's
documentation. You
may also find answers on our
user group
.
Many systems allow you to specify multiple DNS servers, to be contacted
in a priority
order. In the following instructions, we provide steps to specify only
the Google
Public DNS servers as the primary and secondary servers, to ensure that
your setup
will correctly use Google Public DNS in all cases.
Note: Depending on your network setup, you may need administrator/root
privileges
to change these settings.