[real-eyes] Re: Fwd: [NUT] Fixing An Infected Computer

  • From: Mitchell Lynn <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 09:57:38 -0500

When I first read Steve's post, my inclination was to present some
suitably erudite rebuttal, delineating those cases where the reimage or
format reinstall was an unnecessary extreme. I believe--no, I know--that
there are cases where the prescribed methods are extreme. It's the 21st
Century technicians' "if thine eye offends thee, pluck it out.

In the end, a total system reload will absolutely and unequivocally
resolve the problem--at least we hope it does. I am old enough that I
can remember when the idea of viruses was little more than speculative
fiction. Maybe it is that same kind of speculative fiction to talk about
malware that can survive the kind of system reload you advocate. Maybe
that kind of malware is already being crafted or is already extant in
the wild. In any case, it is a moot point: the only certainty here is
uncertainty.

Reputable commercial software has shipped with malware; shareware has
been distributed with virus infections; USB drives have shipped with
malware on them; computer shops return repaired systems infected with
malware. And of course, this says nothing of the myriads of operating
system components and third-party software and hardware that is rife
with vulnerabilities and security flaws that leave us susceptible to
attack. Just as the only constant is change, the only certainty is
uncertainty. We can't all hand-craft our own operating systems and
software and then allow them to live their lives in the sterile vacuum
of a test tube. Nor is there any assurance that a user when told that
they must change their habits or else will do so.

The upshot is that you did what you could. You weighed "best practices"
against necessary end-user expediences (their resources and abilities)
and did the best you could. If you have the facilities and resources to
treat a gangrenous wound, then you do so. If you do not have those
facilities and resources, then you amputate. Of course, if you knowingly
left behind an infected system, that changes the game entirely.

Unfortunately, computer operating systems defy the Biblical injunction
about building on a foundation of sand, and now we are in one hell of a
wind storm. All we can do is regularly inspect that foundation, patch
where we must, harden where we can, be smart about what we open and
where we browse and hope for the best. Reimaging is probably the most
sure thing when it comes to system repair. It is not, however, always
the most practicable course. Nor does it lead to an immutable certainty
that all is well.