[real-eyes] Fwd: Happy 200th Birthday Louis Braille

  • From: "Chip Bloch" <Chip.Bloch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 15:31:20 -0600

>>> "Gaeir Dietrich" <gdietrich@xxxxxxxxx> 1/8/2009 2:29 PM >>>
We were off work on January 4, the actual 200th anniversary of the birth of
Louis Braille, creator of the Braille system and of the code for music
Braille. I still would like to remind everyone what an extraordinary
achievement the Braille code was and how this young man of only about 12
created something that changed the world.

In commemoration, I am sharing from another list something written by the
music director of the California School for the Blind.
*********

Something to share in honor of Louis Braille's 200th  anniversary of his
birth; January 4, 1809-

Our music teacher says,
"Have fun with this, smile and sing it from the heart."
Wayne Siligo, Music Director
California School for the Blind

New lyrics for the song Louie, Louie
Written by Wayne Siligo, the music director of the California School for the
Blind.

Song for Louis Braille
Sung to the rock classic Louie, Louie by the Kingsmen.
Chord progression is G major to C major to D minor, back to C.

Lyrics to celebrate the 200th birthday of Louis Braille

Now Louie was a man, born two hundred years ago.
And though he couldn't see, he learned a lot more then we know
It bugged him as a kid, that he couldn't learn to write,
But later on in school, they would read to him at night.
Chorus: Louie, Louie, oh, oh we got to read now. (Repeat, with; we got to
write now)

He played the organ well, and taught his friends the way to play,
Yet Louie still believed, he'd read and write someday.
Then an army officer, showed him how to write with dots,
But Louie knew for sure, he had to change the bumps a lot.
Chorus:

He cut the cell in half, and then he wrote the alphabet.
With slate and stylus skills, the dots would help him not forget.
And even here today, his code can help us pass a test,
Though folks have tried to change it, Louie's code is still the best.
Chorus:

Louie changed our world, gave us words that we can touch,
We can do it on our own, Read in English, French or Dutch,
And on his special day, every one should stand and say;
Thank you Louie Braille, your code has given us the way! (Repeat last line
and out)

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
High Tech Center Training Unit of the
California Community Colleges