[real-eyes] Re: Fw: MySpace Ignores and Locks Out the Blind,Puts Up "No Blind People Allowed" Sign

  • From: "Kimberly A. Morrow" <morrowka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 07:26:09 -0500

It's like this: None of those sites are going to change to accommodate =
us. It's up to those manufacturing products for the blind to figure it =
out.=20

Kim

> MySpace Ignores and Locks Out the Blind, Puts Up "No Blind People =
Allowed"=20
> Sign
>
> By Darrell Shandrow
>
> There are a number of blind and visually impaired people who have =
written=20
> to me privately and to various e-mail discussion groups concerning the =

> current accessibility challenges with the popular MySpace blogging and =

> social networking web site.
>
> LINK:
> http://www.myspace.com/
>
> The most critical and immediate issue is a CAPTCHA (visual =
verification)=20
> appearing as part of the signup process. This CAPTCHA does not feature =

> audio or any other method of gaining access if you are not able to see =
the=20
> characters you must enter into the edit box in order to register. Many =

> blind and visually impaired people, including myself, have contacted=20
> MySpace over the past year. All such attempts at contact have been=20
> completely ignored.
>
> It is clear that the staff of MySpace do not see fit to show even an =
ounce=20
> of professional courtesy toward blind and visually impaired people by=20
> responding to media queries and other attempts at contact. We must all =
put=20
> MySpace on notice that CAPTCHA (visual verification) without audio or =
some=20
> other alternative way for blind people to complete the signup process=20
> locks out the blind and visually impaired in a manner similar to the =
"no=20
> blacks allowed" signs during the era of segregation. While it may be=20
> clearly understood that this visual only CAPTCHA was initially put in=20
> place out of ignorance of the accessibility issue, continued disregard =
of=20
> our needs despite our goodfaith attempts at contact represents clear =
and=20
> deliberate discrimination against us.
>
> It is certainly not too late for the MySpace people to make the =
conscious=20
> decision to simply do the right thing in this case. Implement an audio =

> playback of the CAPTCHA and supply an e-mail address or other contact=20
> information where people with disabilities may receive human =
assistance=20
> when it does not work as expected, the user happens to be deaf-blind, =
etc.=20
> I urge all of you whom have not already done so to contact MySpace to=20
> register your accessibility concerns and ask the company to do the =
right=20
> thing.
>
> LINK:
> http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=3Dmisc.contact
>
> posted by Darrell at 8:25 AM
>

> =
http://www.blindaccessjournal.com/2007/05/myspace-ignores-and-locks-out-b=
lind.html

> --
>
> To contact a list moderator about a problem or to make a request, send =
a=20
> message to BlindNews-Owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> The BlindNews list is archived at: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind/
>
> To address a message to all members of the list, send mail to:=20
> BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Access your subscription info at:=20
> =
http://blindprogramming.com/mailman/listinfo/blindnews_blindprogramming.c=
om

> To unsubscribe via e-mail: send a message to=20
> BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in =
either=20
> the subject or body of the message
>

> --=20
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5/1/2007=20
> 2:57 PM
>
>=20

To subscribe or to leave the list, or to set other subscription options, =
go to www.freelists.org/list/real-eyes