[real-eyes] Re: $5 System

  • From: "Reginald George" <sgeorge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:52:39 -0600

Hi Em,

Not a bad idea at all.  I just wish we had that option at A.T.Ms as I find
myself having to use those a lot.  Also this doesn't eliminate the fear in
larger cities for some folks that people will tell you they are giving you
fives and give you ones instead.  And often folks won't have  enough fives
to give you.  Then lines get held up while they try to find proper change
and so on.  There's just a certain comfort in being able to count ones own
money and knowing the count is accurate just as we do with coins from the
moment you cash the check and have it in your hands.  I fold my money and,
that works quite well for me.  But often I still must stop the cashier
momentarily to make sure of the order they are handing me the bills.  When
I'm alone for weeks at a time mistakes get made.  Using an identifier is
only a partial solution.  I was talking to my roommate yesterday and, he's
right about one thing.  This isn't the most important issue in the  world by
a long shot.  We just can't always pick the order things come up in the
courts and if the decision should hold it will send a strong message that
inclusiveness for everyone should be a priority in access to lots of
products and services like books, the web, and other electronics.  It's a
small victory for universal design principals like medicine bottles and
packaging that older folks with bad hands could open, talking prescription
bottles and magnifiers for those who can't afford them, I could go on and
on.