[ratpack] Re: The ski loesson; Switzerlamd. 1963

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 20:56:43 -0600

Oh...that thing.  Yeah.  I heard of 'em.

I'm glad yer gettin along with yer binary-brained friend now. There are some things about Windoze 7 that I like, and there are some things that I hate. But after 4 months of tweaking on it, I've finally got it running pretty well. I've found a coupla utilities and add-ons (one for Windoze Explorer that's REALLY helpful (returns the "Up" speed button and can be configured to look like XP's Explorer and Start Menu) that have lowered my frustration level. But the lack of directory tree updating in the left pane is still a real pain.

And I wish someone would offer a decent POP3 email client. I gave up on Eudora after 10 or more years with it and there's nothing available that comes close except for Pegasus and it's not very stable at all.

Moving right along, I man have FINALLY come to grips with the 7D's autofocus issues. I shot a car show last nite with it. Since I was more interested in focus and sharpness, I bracketed the shots and found that in most cases it tends to overexpose by 1/3 to 1/2 stop. But the photos are nice and crisp. There's one of Bill William's Deuce roadster that's probably the best shot I've ever gotten of it. It's a bitch to shoot indoors because of the reflections and flares on the black and chrome. But I liked this shot. I find myself alternating between low-angle and "top down" shots for some reason. It's said that Andy Southard carried a ladder to many of his shoots: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=5028 . I've found that holding the camera above my head comes close. It's a lot easier with digital than it musta been for him and many others with "analog film." Speakin of which, I found that there's still film in my Pentax. I'll shoot up the rest of the roll and see what turns up. It's sure a loud SOB. About twice as noisy as the Canons.

Anyway, I had a real good time at the show and I'm REAL pleased with the quality of the images. This is the first time I've been able to say that about the 7D. Maybe it knew that I was on the verge of putting it up for sale. :) I'll keep it for the moment.

RtR

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

No, this thing is known widely as a (bleep) computer! I am just now getting Windows 7 and Picasa to talk to each other civilly, but thank you. C.