[ratpack] Re: Lehi Car Show

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:53:29 -0600

Thanks for flying the ratpack banner at the cruise nite  I've been sittin here editing ALMS photos until my eyeballs take turns poppin out and resting on my cheekbones.

Just a quick correction.  The car you've labeled as a 32 Ford....and it REALLY looks like one until ya check the lines of the front fender and the shape of the grill shell....is a 35 Chevy.

I dunno how many times I've done a double-take on that year Chevy, especially if the greenhouse is the first thing I see.  It's so close to a 32/33/34 Ford that it really gets confusing.  And mistaking a 31 Ford (last year of the Model A) for a 32 if the windshield visor isn't on it.

Last week I came across one that had me searchin (and a guy who REALLY knows street rods) for hours...a 29 Ford Steelback Fordor sedan.  I had no idea that something like that even existed:

It has a 28/29 style grill shell, a 30/31 style cowl (28/29s...with this one exception have a character line that curves from top rear to lower front) and a rear end that's one piece instead of 3 pieces like the Tudors (ain't it cute how they named the 2 and 4 door models?), 21 inch wheels (30/31s have 19" wheels) and the chrome (ok, zinc-plated) trim piece with cowl lights that's usually a dead giveaway as a 30/31...my friend and I made all kinda guesses until I found a Model A body style list that explained there were 2 special models like this...the one in the photo's a Fordor Town Sedan cuz it has the quarter windows behind the rear doors and a standard Fordor without those windows.  Model 60-B and 60-C.  Drove us nuts.

The way it came about is that there's one for sale in Washington state that would make a perfect companion for Rufus as a "crew cab."  But then tryin to chase a car that's run over 400 mph with one that tops out at 45 is kinda silly.  But we thought "Rastus" would be a good name for Rufus' brother...more or less.  Maybe if we did a drive train transplant....
http://www.chevyasylum.com/temp4/Welcome.html

But I ramble.  Great shots, anyway, Mike.  I hope to get some Saturday in Kamas.

ps.  One last thing: if yer lookin for shows, cruise nites, etc, here's a great place to find 'em:
http://www.thanks2frank.com/car%20show%20dates%202009.html

Thanks2Frank is Scott & Courtney Clark...some real great people.
Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 7/22/2010 9:12 PM, Michael Wells wrote:

There weren't very many cars there but there were a few very cool cars. You'll recognize the Corvair with the V8. However the sleeper of the show was the Mercedes. It's a nice looking car and from the first pic of the car nothing special, however when you look under the hood the Mercedes sports a Cobra 289cc engine bored out to a 306cc power plant. The 68 Camaro was pushing 750HP, the car is not finished but is still impressive.

Well take a look, these were taken with my newly repaired XTi.

http://www.pbase.com/twistedlight/lehi_car_show

Dr Z
--
Dr. Z