[ratpack] Re: ISO question

  • From: Larry Knight <carpixguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:36:16 -0600

I set the ISO myself. I hate high ISO noise so I set it as low as I can get
away with. Sometimes I play the ISO setting off the Apature setting to set
the depth of field (if that makes sense). For example, if I am shooting 200
ISO and I see that my apature setting (I am using shutter priority mode) is
getting down to 5.6 or lower, I will raise my ISO so I can get the apature
back up to 8 -11 so that my depth of field is big enough to cover the
distance of the car. Does this make sense to anyone?? I don't worry about it
shooting motorcycles as even at apature 4.5 the depth of field is big enough
for a bike.

When I use Auto ISO, my ISO ends up at 400 a lot, and on slab side cars with
little signage, I get noise in the paint, not much, but still noticeable to
me and I hate it, so I shoot at ISO 200 or lower anytime I can. Overcast
days change that I have have to go up on the ISO sometimes.

Long answer to short question.
Larr