[ratpack] Got some time to kill? Check this website

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:33:31 -0700

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/ It's photos from the SEMA show in Vegas. I'm gonna have to wrangle a ticket to that sucker next year.

I'm just barely getting through it. There are so many side trips that...well, it's great stuff.

Ya gotta check out the 29 Bentley Speed 6 owned by Jay Leno (with a Gear Vendors Overdrive in it) and the 1911 Marmon Wasp replica and a whole buncha other kool stuff. One of the shot groups is of the "Bubble Ray" kustom that's built along the lines of a Roth/Starbird creation. I got photos of it and talked with the builder at some length at the Rat Fink Reunion earlier this year: http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin/Cruisin2009/20090605/0906050008.html but that was in its half-finished state. It's built on a 79 Corvette platform.

The link was sent to me because of the coverage of the Poteet & Main Speed Demon streamliner. I shot for them last year and again this year: http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2008/shootout/demon/Welcome.html Obviously last year's...I don't have this year's stuff broken down that way yet, but this this shot of the Stanley Steamer version of an SB2 Chevy smallblock with Dart heads is kinda interesting:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2009/shootout/pix/20090921_0418r8a_jpg.html

They kinda broke a lotta stuff. But when ya run 435 (yes, 435.small change mph one way) on a 299 in motor (twin intercooled turbos)...well, yer sorta on the ragged edge. If they could have made 2 runs back-to-back, they would have completely blown away the absolute wheel-driven land speed record...except for 2 little things. First, that speed was run at Speed Week, which wasn't FIA sanctioned and second, every time they made a fast pass, the next run resulted in a broken transmission or rear gear. And when they came back for the Shootout (FIA sanctioned) the bulletproof transmission (an airshifted Liberty 5-speed) wasn't anything near bulletproof. The attached shot shows (left to right) George Poteet's sister, Betty...a very nice southern "gentlewoman", Kenny Duttweiler, engine guru and transmission rebuilder and Russ and Mark (I can't remember their last names) sometimes referred to as "the ZZ Top brothers." They have nothing in common other than long white beards, but they're real nice dudes. That was just one of the transmission rebuilds they did that week. They also did an engine swap to a 4-cylinder pushrod motor (I think it was the turbo motor) and then hydraulicked one of the cylinders and bent a rod. It wasn't a good event for 'em. But I can hardly wait to see what they come back with next year.

As an aside, George Poteet has been referred to as "Land Speed Racing's Daddy Warbucks." Well, that's not quite accurate as I've found him to be a very kind, soft-spoken, thoughtful man who just happens to own Juice Plus, a multi-bazillion dollar vitamin supplement company, I've been taking a version of his products as recommended by my doctor for at least 5 years. So I've probably paid him much more money than he's paid to me for photos. :) In any case, he IS very wealthy and usually when he comes to the salt, he brings 3 or 4 cars to run in different classes. The last coupla years have been pretty much consumed with the Speed Demon.

Ohhh...the last photos of the SEMA collection look an awful lot like one of local builder Dave Kindig's (Kindigit Kreations, I think is the name of his shop) creations. I take it back. It IS one of his citters:
http://www.facebook.com/Tigerta2?ref=mf#/photo.php?pid=30304578&id=1242563364

Enuff.  I'm outta here.

RtR