[ratpack] Re: And now for something entirely different....

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:42:31 -0700

Thank you. Some interesting stuff...well, maybe. It (they) was shot with the 7D and 18-200mm EF-S lens at 70mm. Here's the "interesting" part. I'd been playing with ISO values, testing the claims that the 7D could really use higher ISO values without noticeable graining or lack of image quality. I left it at 1600 ISO. I used Auto Exposure Bracketing and the shutter speeds were 1/4000, 1/8000 and 1/1000. I didn't notice it until I was entering the data into my photoblog http://www.raytherat.com/photoblog/Welcome06.html (this photo isn't there yet.) Then I realized how far I'd stretched the envelope.

Examination of the photo at 100 percent resolution (3456x5184 pixels is the "Large High Quality" size at 18.2 mpixels) still shows zero graininess or aberration, other than the fact that the color was a little washed out in the originals, but I shot 'em with HDRI in mind.

So I had 3 images, bracketed by +/- 2 stops with ridiculous ISO and shutter speed. I plugged 'em into Photomatix and let it chug away as it generated a "Detail Enhanced" (it's one of 2 ways that you can combine the images, the other being called Tone Compression) image. I set the variables to enhance (almost over-saturated) the color and maximize contrast. Then I ran the output of the HDRI generator thru Paint Shop Pro and cropped, resized and gave it just a little bit more color. And that's what ya see. Aesthetics Anonymous. :) It's fun to play with.

RtR

VERY Nice! C.