[raspberry-vi] Re: Odroid XU4

  • From: "Angelo Sonnesso" <asonnesso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <raspberry-vi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 20:20:03 -0500

Don't ever stop asking questions.
73 N2DYN Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: raspberry-vi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:raspberry-vi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cheryl Homiak
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2015 1:18 PM
To: raspberry-vi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [raspberry-vi] Re: Odroid XU4

First of all, I do realize that it is not a raspberry though my wording
might have concerned you, but thank you for pointing that out.

Secondly, I have used and worked with linux for years - let's see - 1998 as
I recall, though I know that's not as long as some people by any means. I
like to play with things; I am not just looking for a cheap laptop. I have
an old mac mini here happily running linux if that is what I want and it is
by no means my first linux installation. I am used to rolling up my sleeves
and have helped other people with their systems. The fact that I am
concerned about fitting cases and soldering, which I have not done and
requires a different kind of skill than I am used to employing, does not
indicate some kind of unwillingness to work and wish only to gobble up what
is handed me! I guess I won't ask any more of my pi beginner questions
here!

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Nov 28, 2015, at 11:59 AM, Mike Ray <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I currently know nothing about the Odroid. But Cheryl, be aware that
this is *not* a Raspberry Pi.

My current take on all this is that I do not regard the Raspberry Pi
as a replacement for a cheapo second user laptop if what you want to
do is browse the web, read and write emails and otherwise do nothing
except consume stuff other people have created.

And of course you could just as easily use a second user laptop to
learn loads of stuff about Linux, and FOSS in general. There's
enogugh there to keep you learning for a lifetime.

The Raspberry Pi, and similar small single board computers *are*,
learning tools. Don't buy a Raspberry Pi if you don't intend to roll
your sleeves up and dive in and learn stuff.

And, more importantly, especially now with the Raspberry Pi Zero,
which costs about $5, if you break it, or stand on it, or lose it
behind the fridge, you don't have to eat beans on toast for the next
six months to buy another one.

I don't know if the ODroid has a similar level of connectivity as that
provided by the RPI GPIO bus. So don't know whether it could be used
for robotics and other such projects.

Even stuff like shoving it in a cupboard connected to an external USB
drive and the house network is a good use of a Pi. And even stuff
like switching an LED on and off is cool and will make you feel you've
learned something.

On 28/11/2015 17:44, Aman Singer wrote:
Hi all,
Let me first thank Travis for pointing out the M3, it looks like an
interesting device.
Keep in mind, though, that if you're going to spend $100, one might
as well spend the extra $10-20, get an Intel Atom device from
gearbest.com or geekbuying.com, and be able to run Windows, any
version of Linux, and Android. We're getting into desktop/laptop
pricing, so might as well get something that can do the most if the
money is going to be spent. the RPI certainly has a place, as shown
by its pricing, but why sacrifice functionality if you're going to
spend significant amounts of money in addition to the $35 pricing anyway?
Aman

On 11/27/15, Glenn <glennervin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Travis,
Are you in the U.S.?
If so, where did you find the M3 for 100 dollars?
I looked on Amazon.com, as well as a general search, and all I found
was an

Amazon seller for 150 dollars.
Glenn