[racktables-users] How to track inter-network-closet cabling

  • From: Michael Potts <hm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:08:06 -0500

TL;DR: How do I track the Patch Panels in between my switches without
making a bunch of crazy objects?

While I have implemented RackTables at several other companies, my current
implementation is something I will soon be proud of, with (so far) 4
different companies using it to track our shared network closets and
resources.

While I await the ability to track overlapping IP scopes inside separate
VLANs (Bug #639) and (to a lesser extent) attaching a VLAN tag to a switch
port (Bug #1341), I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion on how to
track the links between our network closets.

We are set up like this right now:

Rack 1:Switch 1:port 1 > Rack 2:PatchPanel1:Port1 >
Through structured cabling to network closet elsewhere
Rack 10:PatchPanel3:Port10 > Rack 11:Switch11:Port11

Since no patch panels on either side of the structured cabling correlate
port numbers (and much of this is fiber so we have 6 strands of fiber on
one end with a wall mounted box going to a massive 120 strand rack mount
termination box on the other end), I can't just make one object in the
middle or something.

I will be testing a set up of creating 4 objects, with the 2 patch panel
objects each having a duplicate entry for each port ("Port1 - Jack" and
"Port1 - Backhaul" or something) to allow us to somehow made a very
roundabout but documented connection:

Rack 1:Switch 1:port 1 > Rack 2:PatchPanel1:Port1-Jack

Rack 2:PatchPanel1:Port1-Backhaul > Rack 10:PatchPanel3:Port10-Backhaul

Rack 10:PatchPanel3:Port10-Jack > Rack 11:Switch11:Port11

Sadly though, even with this, we can't easily see whats on the other end
without clicking through several objects. Doable, but less than ideal.

Without yet considering how to rengineer RackTables to support this
(something I can think about but do not have the skills to implement), am I
missing an easy way to solve my problem?

Thanks!

Michael Potts
GV: (904) 638-2914 | Gtalk: HM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
@HMHackMaster | http://about.me/MichaelPotts