[racktables-users] Re: After adding own Ports, thay won't show up under the Interface dropdown in the object view.

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 18:04:28 +0400

27.06.2012, 15:13, "Ola Ekegren" <ola.ekegren@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Folks!
> I have added new ports to the Directory table under Chapter 2 and also new
> iif_name entrys to PortInnerinterface.
> I taged the new ports to the new PortInnerinterface id's via the
> PortInterfaceCompat table
> Still i cant make them show up in the Drop-down menu when i try to add them
> to ha Object, like a server.
> Something i have missed?

Hello.

The port interface relations map out as follows.

First off, there are OIFs (outer interfaces), each standing for media and
modulation standard (e.g. 10GBase-SR, 100Base-TX). OIFs are stored in
Dictionary chapter 2 and can be added by user in "Configuration : Dictionary :
Chapter 'PortOuterInterface'".

PortCompat SQL table lists compatible OIF-OIF pairs. Most of the records are
straightforward (N-N, M-M, X-X), but there are special cases: single-strand
(1000Base-BX10) fiber optics, TwinAx-like direct-connect cables (empty SFP+)
and wide-band WDM OIFs (in 0.20.x). "Configuration : Port compatibility" form
is the interface editor for this table.

Then, there are IIFs (inner interfaces), each standing for transceiver type (or
hardwired), these are stored in PortInnerInterface SQL table and cannot be
edited by user, mainly because it's simpler to have all 10 transceiver
form-factors listed out of the box rather than messing with a form around the
table.

Then, there is PortInterfaceCompat SQL table, which sets which OIFs are
legitimate for which IIFs. There is an editor for this table in "Configuration
: Enabled port types" section of the interface. Each user may decide, which
particular transceiver sizes and types are in use in the network, and narrow
down the port type SELECT drop-down.

And finally, there is some configuration sugar to decide, which IIFs are
visible and which OIF is the default for which IIF. It is located in
"Configuration : User interface", named "Default port outer interface IDs". The
syntax is straightforward:

1=24; 3=1078; 4=1077; 5=1079; 6=1080; 8=1082; 9=1084; 10=1588; 11=1668
(IIF1=OIF1; IIF2=OIF2; IIF3=OIF3...)

If an IIF is not listed in this line, it is missing from the SELECT (yet
another way to narrow the SELECT down). Once you add a port to an object, the
SELECT will have respective OIF pre-selected for each IIF (this saves a few
clicks, for example, if most of SFP+ ports you add are some other type rather
than "empty SFP+").

And there is another option to control, which IIF is the default in the SELECT
(Default port inner interface ID).

Cheers.

--
 Denis Ovsienko