[racktables-users] Add Ports and IPs using snmp ifTable / ifxTable / ipAdEntIfIndex

  • From: Maik Ehinger <m.ehinger@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:47:16 +0100

Hi List,

i want to share how i use snmp (ifTable / ifxTable / ipAdEntIfIndex) to
add Ports and IP Addresses to my Objects.

So here is the Plugin.

I had very less hardware to test it. Only some Enterasys Switches and a
few Servers. But for them it works really well.
If your device supports the  SNMP ifxTable it should work for them too.
Because it gets port names from there.

One problem is the mapping to the RackTables oifs. At the moment it
searches the ifDescr to make a decision.
I could not test SNMPv3!

How it works:
You have to enter a correct FQDN or add an IPv4 Address to your Object
first to get it wroking.
After you entered your SNMP Settings it will first only display a Table of
what it gets (Port name, MAC, Description, IP, RT oif Type, ...).
Here you can see if a Port or IP will be add or if it already exists.

No changes are made so far!.

You have to click "Create Ports and IPs" to commit changes.

INSTALL:
just add to local.php like every plugin/extension

TESTED on FreeBSD 8.2, nginx/1.0.8, php 5.3.8, NET-SNMP 5.7
and RackTables 0.19.10.

All comments are welcome.

Regards

Maik