[ql06] Re: CRIMINAL: Police misconduct

  • From: "Kenneth Campbell [QL06]" <2kc16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:52:38 -0500

Steve:

>Seriously though, Jama Jama may have been well within his rights to
>shove the cop if he was under serious apprehension of death or bodily
>harm CCC ss. 34, 35.

I just saw the film footage.

I would be less ready to fire the cop's ass if he had been honest in his
report.

The cover-up is worse than the crime. (Just as it was in Watergate;
Nixon could have survived the actual break-in, but he could never have
survived the lying to the government in trying to cover it up.)

A police officer losing his/her head is serious, to be sure, and the
officer should be suspended and undergo some kind of treatment and
assessment to see if the problem is situational.

But to cover-up with a false police report, that's much more serious and
there is no "treatment." This is premeditated, if you will. As in the
difference between murder 1 and murder 2.

Straight-out dismissal. Including any other officers who lied about it.

Bad enough the cop hit the guy, broke his tooth, then lied about it in a
report, he then _charged_ the guy -- which would result in his being
automatically deported. That officer of the court was ready to hang this
person out to dry. In one of those karmic moments of divine irony, he
may end up getting the same treatment himself.

As Jama said in the press conference: "Where would I be without that
video tape?"

Ken.

--
If men were angels, there would be no need of government.
          -- James Madison