[pythonvis] Re: iNstalling Emac Speak on the Emac speak application

  • From: Jean-Claude Provost <jc.provost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 13:59:33 -0500

hi there,

one thing you may also consider is to try this in a Windows environment... There are Python interpreters that are quite easy to use from an accessible standpoint... Some tutorials I've seen are also quite clear & useful... For example:

https://docs.python.org/3.6/contents.html

HTH.

Cheers,

Jean-Claude Provost
On 3/6/2017 12:45 PM, chuck winstead wrote:

Thanks,
I’m legally blind, and the only things i can see are colors, shadows, lights, and motion. So I’m not sure if you consider that lo vision.
I Use a Mac, and I’vebeen wanting to learn python and getting into coding in general for a long time. I tried getting started by learning python in my college this past fall semester, but the professor wouldn’t accommodate me at all, and he could not speak english at all.
If I got sighted help, I’d always get an F. Idle, and Wing he had us use, but neither of those were VoiceOver accessible. I installed Eclipse, and that was not very accessible either. I’d be able to write code, but once i got out to runthe code. If there were any errors. I was out of luck.
I just want to learn how to code, because my professor pretty much talked bad about me, and said I was not going to do well in coding.
I just want to prove him wrong. If I was given the right accommodations. YOu could have had an ace studnet in your class.
But Thanks for the information. IF you recommend your screen reader for my vision situation. I’m opened to checking it out.
Chuck
On Mar 6, 2017, at 11:27 AM, Patrick Smyth <patricksmyth01@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:patricksmyth01@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

These are probably the best instructions, but I'll warn you that it's notoriously annoying to get working.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Emacspeak-HOWTO/installing-emacspeak.html

If you're low vision, you might want to take a look at Eloud, which is a lightweight screen reader for Emacs that I'm still developing.

https://github.com/smythp/eloud

Best,
Patrick

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 12:11 PM, chuck winstead <littledjchuck@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:littledjchuck@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello Python Vis,
    Is there any tutorial or way to go about installing Emac Speak on
    the Emac Speak application. I heard that Emac is a good IDE to
    work with if Emac Speak is installed. So I figured I’d give it a try.
    Thanks in advance.
    ChuckList web page is
    //www.freelists.org/webpage/pythonvis
    <//www.freelists.org/webpage/pythonvis>