[python] Re: steering damper

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:14:53 +0200

> > The non-self-centering ability of the flevo is the
> > reason, why it is only rideable with a rubber bung
> > (steering damper) that brings the FW back to the
> > center, after steering.
>
> Well.... On a vacation, I have been riding my flevo without a damper (it
> broke off). The flevo is rideable without. It might have helped that I
> am used to a weak silent blocks (not these stiff once used traditionally
> on a flevo).

Amazing skill. I was neither able to ride one my airbike nor on a friends
flevo without damper. The front part just fell into the curve and could not
be brought back again.

> I rode a short while on Torbens python (a bit to big for me). I could
> only do strait lines but could keep balance (200m one direction,
> turning, 200m the other). It feels same and also different from a flevo
> (difficult to explane). I had the feeling that the bike wanted to go
> strait all the time (even if I didn't want that).

Yes. Flevo riders have some advantage in learning the python. But still
it is different. As you said, especially (left-)curves are almost impossible
in the beginning.

> Riding may be ok on this bike, but walking with it is really bad. You
> have practically to hang over the bike to walk around with it. Could
> that not be a good reason to use a (weak) silent blok anyway? Just to be
> able to take the python by the seat and walk.

If you are not sitting on the python and there is no luggage, the
self-centering force is gone. Meanwhile I have learned to walk
with the bike. One of the tricks is a slight pushing downwards by the
handle to center the front part.

The steering stop through the stand that I have built in all my pythons
improves the handling and carrying a lot.

Regards from Jürgen.