[python] Re: Sketches of four-bar-linkage design

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:01:30 +0200

Hi Michael,

I am not at all sure about this, but still, I want to point out where I think there could be a problem: the size of the 4bl.

Ignoring the exact geometry of the 4bl (I don't know anything about this anyway), the linkage needs to be able to extend enough to one side to allow a sensible turning circle.

For simplicity, imagine a vertikal pivot angle. And lets say we have a positive trail of 7cm and a wheel radius of 30cm. Turning 60 degrees, you get (7+30)*sin(60)=32cm.

So, I believe, the four bar linkage needs at least to extend that length (32cm) to the side and may be even beyond. The bars of the 4bl would probably need to be longer to have the right turning characteristics. May be with a 4bl-pivot angle like 70degrees this will be a lesser a problem, I don't know.

(I hope I make sense here!)

groetjes uit Denemarken,
Dirk