[python] Re: Python, of course.

  • From: mtb@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:02:09 -0700

At 12:35 AM 8/20/2005, you wrote:

>The calculations made by Ray and Dirk are a big progress towards the
>evaluation of stabilty factors in the python frame geometry. But the
>ultimate solution is still not found (and I guess it never will be ;-)

I think that the "solution" would require modeling the reflexive response and
natural damping action of human bodies; the python itself cannot be made
self-stable. However, as everyone here seems to agree, it can be made easier to
control (minimizing necessary input).
As others pointed out, making a unicycle taller makes it "more stable" and
easier, but it can never be truly stable.

In 100 years of effort, no one has ever published a complete physical
description of the motion of hinged two-wheeled vehicles. There is a commercial
package I saw that can dynamically model almost all of the important aspects of
motorcycles. It is done with a package like ODE
http://ode.org/
http://ode.org/slides/igc02/s19.html

Ray