[python] Re: New python from Finland

  • From: Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:45:18 +0100

Congratulation, Pekka. Welcome to the Bruised Python-Learners club!

To help you learn quicker, and to be able to ride even on roads, Erik Wannee's 'Training Trike Back End' is a key idea. See here:

 http://www.wannee.nl/hpv/oefentri/index.htm

Dirk Bonne told me about it, and being too far from Erik's place in Apeldoorn, Netherlands, to hire his trainer, I just made a quick copy. This has absolutely TRANSFORMED my riding. Before, even after weeks of trying, I could go scarcely ten metres on my bike-rigged Python before I fell over. Now, I'm doing twenty-kilometer rides easily, including stretches on roads with motor traffic. And I could ride the training trike immediately, the very first time that I sat on it.

I've just turned 70, so my sense of balance isn't as good as it was. But still, with this rig, the Python riding is easy. And the best is that I can watch myself catching the trick of balancing the front and middle parts -- just like the bike rig -- and internalising the learned reflexes steadily. By now I can ride along for a lot more than ten metres, with my hands just poised loosely round the grab-bars, but actually steering and balancing exactly as if I were on a Python bike.

Note that, though Erik's page about his training-trike back end is in Nederlandse, the pictures really make it all quite clear. All you really need to grasp is that the rectangular frame which holds the two back wheels is rigid, and stays upright at all times, and the two rearward grab handles welded to that rectangular frame also stay solidly on the ground, and upright at all times. But the whole of the rest of the rig leans and balances just like a bike. As Erik says, you can't really feel the difference. But there are always those two solid, unyielding grab bars to rebalance yourself instantly, as soon as you feel yourself losing it. Absolutely the key to quick, easy learning. You can just make out the fore-and-aft, horizontal-axis leaning pivots that link the back end to the rest of the cycle, on the first photo on Erik's web-page. That's the key!

I have a friend who runs a one-man bike sales, repair and recycling shop, from his canal-boat home. He's watched me crawling slowly forward with the building of my Python bike, and then the long, not-very-successful slog of trying to learn to ride it. So he was pretty sceptical about the whole Python idea. But the first moment that he sat on my trike rig, pedalled away, felt the beautiful soft, easy ride of the Mages DIY suspension system, and that extraordinary way that the Python steers and handles, he was completely converted. So much so that he's now offering to build bespoke Pythons for anyone who asks me where they can get one. Graham is a really good engineer and general fabricator, with half a lifetime solidly in bikes as a professional, so I know that his Pythons will be really good quality cycles.

We both think that the Training-Trike version is such a good rig in its own right that I'm tempted to just stay with it, as-is; and Graham also is asking me why I'd want to go back to the bike rig when I've got a trike as sweet and easy-ride as this one. I suppose I just want to be able to ride the original, pure Mages creation too. But I'm very tempted to settle mainly on the trike. It's such a great ride that I just can't get enough time on it. Got to try them both first though, before I can decide.

Good luck with your learning Pekka, whichever way you try it. Python's rule, OK!

Hwyl fawr,  RhG

Hello pythonists,

This project has been one of the best succeeded what i've been done, got "influence" in May, gathering bike parts from local junkyard and steel tubes came from friend's garage. In June I was lucky to have a place where I was able to weld everything together.

In July I finished the frame in my backyard and started to learning how to ride the damn thing! One hour per day it took 15 hours to convince myself that I may be able to ride somewhere else than on the empty car park only!

From now on I am counting kilometres, not hours. The Python has cost next to nothing, if we are not counting a beer case to the welding place's owners, and that's not much! Everybody just keep saying that "I want to see if you are ever able to ride that thing!"

Next thing I'm going to do is modificating the seat, the fabric is not giving enough support to my lower back and because of my bad back, it's got to be changed.

A little bit more fine tuning and welding and then some Hammerite black paint, and then... who knows? :D

Pekka