[python] Re: Geared Steering

  • From: Patrick van Gompel <patrick_van_gompel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 17:13:17 +0200

My thoughts:
A Python is a leg/hip steered bike. You can have handle bars anyway you like,
but for a newcomer it might be even more confusing. You really need to learn to
steer in a different way and forget about steering with your hands.
I did have and still have a handle bar on my Python(trike). When I learnt to
cycle I always got rather tired arms, because my legs would go one way and my
arms tried to correct that (which was bad). Now I use the handle bars for extra
stability and sharp cornering.
Looking at your drawing:
Unless you succeed in making this a durable construction I doubt it will
survive the big forces for much time.
I am not saying you should't try it, but why do you prefer this construction
above a simple handle bar?
Why are you worried for the forces at high speeds? I am more worried for slow
speeds and when you legs go one way and your arms try to go the other way. At
high speeds you don't need much force to steer imo.
I am not entirely sure, but if you have a 1:1 ratio I think you will have a
hard time steering your bike with your arms only. Though, it also depends on
the lenght of your levers.

Patrick

Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:44:57 -0400
Subject: [python] Re: Geared Steering
From: weyounet@xxxxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

hmm, well the ones I linked to are 3:1 and I think it's already too much, I
think 1:1 is okay considering have levers at both arms, and it also would make
it the same refinement of motion as on a normal bike.

Based on your recommendation, you might have a
different Idea than I about how the gears are to be implemented, so I've
 drawn a crude crayon diagram to hopefully get us ":on the same page"

I made it based on the picture of the pivot at
http://www.python-lowracer.de/pics/kick_stand_with_steering_stop.jpg  the gear
would go approximately where the bell is now.

Also I realize having the diagonal levers may make it too close to the seat, so
could probaly make them kinda like L's so they give enough clearance.

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Peter Švančárek <peter.svancarek@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

    to low gearing ratio probably... long lever would be better.

    Maybe planetary gear would be better? with ratio at least 1:10-20

    Dňa 28. 5. 2013 15:15 Logan Streondj
      wrote / napísal(a):

            Hey,

            I was wondering if can improve the steering at high speeds,

          perhaps by having some kind of gearing mechanism on the pivot,

          that would for instance move levers on either side,

        the levers could be used to hold the pivot at a certain angle,
        or change it to an appropriate one.

          perhaps
            bevel gears could be used.

                  If for instance the lever gears are mounted on
                    the back boom,

                    and the pivot gear controls the front boom,

                    then could have very precise control of the
                    front-back boom angle.

                  main issue I guess would be finding good mounting
                  options,

                and making sure it has enough strength to withstand the
                forces at high speeds.

              That way can finally achieve the inital goal of using it
              as a low-racer, rather than a low-walker as it kinda is
              now.

            who knows, might even win at some recumbent bicycle races.

              It may also make it easier to
                learn for newcomers, since there would be some kind of
                steering available.

              Perhaps something like the larger
                of these gears could be used
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5-9mm-Pinion-Shaft-Dia-Straight-Bevel-Gear-Spare-Parts-/390574215222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af0099036
                they are $10 on ebay and I saw some for 6 not too long
                ago,  would need three, one for the pivot, and two for
                the levers on either side.

JPEG image