[python] Re: Birdy style Python

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:58:26 +0200

Frank Parmir wrote:

Last summer I made a folding phyhon with 26 inch wheels. It fit quite
well into my car's trunk and could have been put in a bag for carring
on a train but would have been a hand full. It has a pivot in the
frame for rear suspension. The pivot is skewed so that the rear wheel
can be rotated down and arround ending up beside the front wheel. The
front wheel is then turned a bit to be paralel to the rear wheel. The
seat back is removed and the whole thing is a pretty tight package.
There are some pictures I sent to the mail list shortly after I
completed it. It was my first attempt and was more than a little
crude. I did worry about the skew in the suspension pivot causing
some unintended steering with each bump. I assumed my legs would
learn to make an automatic correction. I don't have any expereince
with an unskewed suspension pivot. So I don't know if the skew is a
problem or not. I learned to ride it and was fairly comfortable and
stable when I had a wreck and bent the front wheel and one crank. I
decided to rebuild the whole thing but before I got started I was
given a unicycle (which I just HAD to master) and undertook rehabbing
and old house for my son. Til now I have not had time to get back to
pythoning. (The uni has been much easier than the house.) Very soon I
expect to begin making a leaning, folding python tricycle with single
wheel pedal driven trailor. My wife will not even think about
learning to drive a python. I am hoping that the trike will be stable
enough to add the trailor and have we'll have a detachable tandom.
I'm quite optomistic about the design. IF it works I'll send
pictures.

Frank, I rembember it was a nice one. Too bad it is wrecked. Here are the pictures again.

Bei making the seat foldable and by folding around the rear suspension
and steering pivots one can make a pretty small package. I used to do
that with my old airbike

http://www.python-lowracer.de/airbike/a025.jpg

If you are smart you can do this with a python without loosening one
single screw.

Jürgen.

JPEG image

JPEG image