[pythian] PROJECT - Planning

  • From: Darryl Long <dlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:44:18 -0400

I've been daydreaming about this all morning while working and this is
basically what I foresee for our short-term goal of creating an
"Infiltrate-the-fort" level.

Yule is working on the main Fort.  Already he has the basic layout, and now
he's starting to add more detail.  I will make the basic layout available
soon (next day or so).

We've got two modellers working on generic houses.  This is great, because
it gives us something to put around our Fort so the level doesn't look so
empty.  The generic houses will be added to the Fort level in the new
Editor, so we won't have any need to combine them in MAX.

Once the houses are done, we should focus on creating objects for the Fort.
We need lots of junk inside the map or else it will look boring.

We'll start the character outside the Fort, among the houses.  The houses
will be only one or two deep, but we'll put in a little alley for the PC to
start in.  The Fort will have two entrances, both which are usuable.  The
first entrance is the front door, which has guards, but it is possible to
get through with fighting/sneaking.  The second entrance is to climb, jump
up either a ladder or stacked junk to climb over the wall.  This entrance
will not be well guarded, with only a single guard patrolling the wall.

Yule has placed the "offices" of the leaders of the Fort on the bottom
floor.  This is easily accessible from the front door (if you can get past
the guards), but you have to sneak through the entire Fort to get to the
offices from the other entrance.

Once you have the item from the office (maybe we can move it to a bunch of
different locations in the map, randomly, each time you play) you have to
get out.  We have a choice here.  We can either have the guards or an
officer notice the theft and call an alarm every time, or we can just leave
it to chance.

We will have the PC be an Arbag for now, and the guards will all be
Goluruts.

Since we don't want all Goluruts to look the same, we will need some more
Golurut skins for both guards and officers.  We might also need to expand
the number of weapons we offer.

We want this to be about exploring, not fighting, so we can't have too many
guards and they can't be too sensitive to noise/visuals.  We will have the
guards patrolling pre-defined paths so you can figure out how to avoid them.

As I said, I'll post the fort as soon as I have two hours to rub together.

Darryl