[pythian] Re: Cal3D

  • From: Mike Hearn <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:16:26 +0100

Okay, I've committed the improved code. We now have proper textures,
boundingboxes, and an easier API call to set the animation - like so

someSkeletalModelInstance.setState(anim-id)

However, I'm not happy with it. The code is messy. This is partly caused by
the fact that I wanted to keep all Cal3D code inside TSkeletalModel, and
Cal3D often needs to know about the particular instance, so I end up passing
the TModelInstance object back through to the TSkeletalModel. Also, TModel
wasn't apparently designed with the idea that the model and model instance
might be linked in any way, which has caused me big problems. In particular,
TSkeletalModel has to have a load of naff overrides to make TModel happy -
stuff that references particular frames for instance is useless with
skeletalanimation. I think TModel needs an overhaul, so it no longer assumes
frame-based animation. Darryl, Kamil - comments?

Oh by the way Kamil, whatever it was you did, it didn't make any difference
to my card :( I've switched off mipmaps again, to switch them back on
undefine MIKES_DODGYASS_CARD at the top of shaders.pas

thanks -mike

Mike Hearn wrote:
Firstly, thanks Darryl, textures are now working fine, and I've got the
running paladin model working (again). I'm about to take a crack at bounding
box calculation. However, I'm not happy with how TModel implements :
functionCalcNextFrame(const Animation, Frame: Cardinal; const ElapsedTime:
Single; var Complete: Boolean): Cardinal; virtual; abstract ; function
GetAnimStartFrame(Anim: Cardinal): Cardinal; virtual; abstract ; and similar
functions as abstract, as it means I have to override them and return 0 even
though they have no relevance to skeletal models. Am I doing something
wrong,or is this a code design issue that needs fixing? thanks -mike --
__________________________ Mike Hearn email/jabber: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[1[1]]
http://theoretic.com/?Mike[2[2]] --- Links --- 1 mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[3]
2 http://theoretic.com/?Mike[4]

-- __________________________ Mike Hearn email/jabber: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[5]