[pythian] CODE - Water effect

  • From: Darryl Long <pythianproject@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:24:21 -0700

>Anyway, later if we reimplement our original ROAM engine, we could make a
>very real water effect. I mean we could use ROAM terrain engine to render
>waves by using a dynamic heightmap... we would use special rules to move
>waves (circles) in a bitmap which would be used to render the watter. This
>means that if you throw a stone into water a new wave will be created
>followed by rendering it. I think it would be a good effect. We could
>eventually add also an animated texture for water.

The ROAM engine is not going to happen.  CLOD terrain is the way of the
future, with almost all engines abandoning the mad popping of ROAM for
the much more appealing and less CPU intensive methods.  Almost all
engines are CPU bound and have plenty of GPU left over, so it's a clear
indication we just can't spare the CPU cycles.

ROAM was cool and a good excercise, but it's just not worth it anymore.
 Let's put it behind us.

Anyway, to address the ripples, we have two types of geometry in our
maps: static and dynamic.  Static geometry can not be changed in real
time, but we can manipulate the vertices of dynamic geometry.  We're not
using it for anything right now and it's possible the code is broken,
although likely easy to fix.  That's what TSolid is for.  Ripples
shouldn't be a problem.

Darryl