[pure-silver] Re: termites, OT?

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 06:52:55 -0800 (PST)

Well Bob a few thoughts.  First did you actually see the bugs, or just the
holes?  IF you have actual bugs in the album, the first step would be to be
certain you are dealing with termites.  A hole isn't enough because lots of
little creepy crawlies can make holes in paper that look like termite holes.  A
wise precaution might be to take the album to an exterminator and let them see
it and see if from their experience they can identify if not the actual bug but
the likely of the type of damage.

Back 30 years ago, my dad was an exterminator.  If it is termites, to live they
have to go to the ground for moisture.  A termite that can't get to the ground
is a dead one. Keeping it in something that would keep termites from getting to
the ground will do the job fairly quickly, and if you keep it there longer than
the incubation period of a termite, anything that would hatch ect will not be
an issue either.

This wouldn't apply to any other type of bug such as beetles that have no need
for ground contact.  Hence the importance of figuring out what the pest you are
dealing with.  Freezing might help, at least with the active ones, but termites
at least their eggs can survive in cold climates so freezing may not be totally
effective.  It also might be.  If it doesn't harm the photos, I can't see a
harm in trying.