[pure-silver] rock solid grain!

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:31:50 -0600

I fixed my vibration problem and thought I'd report on how, in case other people have similar enlargers. The Devere 108S has a kind of drawer that the negative carrier goes in. It's not clamped between anything; it sort of floats in there. It turned out that the lab that had previously owned this enlarger had modified the latch for the drawer so that it was no longer possible to latch it tightly. Only if it is latched tightly can it keep air from flowing over the glass negative carriers. If air goes over the glass, it vibrates the negative carrier, creating horrible image instability, especially with the 8x10 carrier.

I had to unscrew the thumb screw that held the latch on, to get the spacer off that they had put, for some reason, between the latch and the drawer. This wasn't easy and I had to use a lot of Liquid Wrench and a hex wrench, but it finally came off. I removed the spacer and put it back the way it was originally, and behold, the grain doesn't move a bit.

I am a little worried about all the Liquid Wrench I put on the latch. Some of it dripped onto the bellows. I wiped it off as well as I could and then cleaned the bellows with a dilute mixture of detergent and water. I was afraid it might eat through the bellows. I think it's some kind of petroleum distillate but I'm not really sure what Liquid Wrench is. Is it dangerous to bellows?

--shannon