[pure-silver] Re: [pure-silver] What Iâve Learned About Photo Gear Over the Past 40 Years

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:55:10 -0700 (PDT)

I disagree with him re: the Blad. ÂThat's the one film camera I'd keep over any
others I still have.

I gave up 35mm a while ago, as I rarely used it, in favor of larger negs or
digital. ÂBefore moving overseas I decided to pare back my gear. ÂI found that
I had a large amount of 8x10 film so I kept my 8x10, the one lens I have for it
and the tripod that can hold it. Â
My 4x5 was a nice camera and I had nice glass for it but I never used it, so I
sold that. ÂIt was always such a project just to prepare and get the thing out
the door to use it. ÂYes it's a similar deal as taking out the 8x10, but I
foresee doing some alt printing and having large negs for that will be a big
help. ÂSo once I have a project for it, I'll break out the 8x10.
The 35mm aspect ratio is repeated in my digital camera but I find that I am
(seemingly) subconsciously cropping into a square format when I'm shooting
quickly.Â
The author mentioned having shot 16mm and I'm not sure if my 16mm Minolta made
the move here or not. ÂIt would have been a totally DIY project from re-loading
the cassettes (and cutting down film to fit them!) to taping the film down in a
tray to process as I don't have a reel to accommodate it. :) It was a fun
camera but the discontinuation of film for the format made using it impractical.