[pure-silver] Re: pure-silver Digest V4 #221

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:19:30 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: pure-silver Digest V4 #221

Provocative comment, Bob. After years of Dektol-centricity myself, I have been experimenting w/other devs because the powder mixing procedure is beginning to feel like an additional chore, and I know it's probly the most unhealthy thing I do in the darkroom!

I'm interested to know why you think Dektol provides "true permanence" where other devs might not?

Thanks for elaborating.

Adrienne Moumin

I am also curious, I can't remember every seeing anything in the literature about the developer affecting permanence. A trick for mixing powder chemicals is to cut a large diagonal spout in the corner of the bag and hold it just below the surface of the water while pouring out the powder. This prevents dust from escaping. If you want to be thorough wear a dust mask, goggles, and nitrile gloves. Its also probably a good idea to wear a plastic apron. There isn't much danger from packaged developer and fixer but these are standard precautions. Mixing some chemicals, fixer for example, can cause some irritating gasses to be evolved so good ventillation is necessary.

---