[pure-silver] overexposed film and development time; HP5+ D76 straight test

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:36:49 -0500

Hi, I posted a few days ago about some film that got overexposed by two stops by accident. Just thought I'd report on what happened.

I processed it the HP5+ in D76 1+1 because my tests had shown that HP5+ loses some speed at that dilution. I cut back the processing time from Ilford's time of 11 minutes to 9 minutes. The result was that the shadow areas measure about .90 on the densitometer, but the highlights are about 1.90, so the contrast appears to be fine for printing.

Also I tested HP5+ in D76 straight, at 4 minutes, 5.5 minutes, 8 minutes, and 11 minutes, all at 68 degrees. Ran that through the BTZS Plotter program, and found out that HP5+ shoots at 400+ if you develop for normal and normal plus times, between 7 1/2 minutes and 10 1/2 minutes. My normal time (SBR 7) was 9 minutes.

But for Normal minus development (6 1/2 minutes), it shoots at something closer to 320+.

Here's how it broke down:

SBR                             Development time

6                                       10.5 minutes
7                                       9 minutes
8                                       7.5 minutes
9                                       6 minutes

SBR                                     EFS
6                                       400+
7                                       400+
8                                       400
9                                       320+

In the BTZS system, SBR means subject brightness range (range from darkest darks to brightest whites) and EFS means effective film speed.

As they say on the internet, YMMV.

--shannon

http://shannonstoney-twors.blogspot.com/
http://branguslane.blogspot.com/