[pure-silver] Re: old Kodak Verichrome Pan

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:04:02 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janet Cull" <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:29 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] old Kodak Verichrome Pan

I found and shot a roll of old Kodak Verichrome Pan film. There are no suggested developing times inside the box, like with others. (This is a b&w film, isn't it? Uh oh... does the "chrome" mean slide? I hope not.)

I can't find it on the Massive Dev. chart or at Phototec. Can anyone help me out? Thanks so much.

Janet

The last I looked the Verichrome Pan data sheet was still on the Kodak web site. I'll send it to you if you can't find it. The original Verichrome dated from the early 1930s. It was an orthochromatic film with improved green sensitivity which replaced the former Kodak box camera film called Kodak NC Film (for non curling). The name Verichrome derives from "true color" suggesting its improved rendition of color in gray tones. Of course Kodak had panchromatic films at the time but ortho film was typically sold to amateurs because it had better performance with the lenses in box cameras which were not usually corrected for color and because it could be processed by inspection under a red safelight. In about 1958 (I've forgotten the exact date) Kodak replaced the original Verichrome with Verichrome-Pan, a general purpose panchromatic film of excellent performance but lacking the retouching surfaces supplied on Plus-X and having a characteristic more tollerant of exposure and processing errors. However, tone rendition with V-Pan and Plus-X are essentially identical. Verichrome Pan can be processed in nearly any developer but works well in D-76. Being a panchromatic film it must be processed in total darkness. I shot a great deal of this film until it was discontinued a few years ago. Unless its been stored in cold storage most of it is probably pretty badly fogged by now.

---