[pure-silver] Re: maco film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 00:35:34 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 9:06 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: maco film

I was printed an AGFA APX 25 6x6 negative last week, and I realized what a unique film it was. I have not had an opportunity to try all the fine grain
films to find a replacement. Do you have any thoughts?

Jonathan Ayers  [mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

There is probably no exact replacement for the very slow, thin emulsion films like APX-25 or Kodak Panatomic-X although one of the Adox films might be pretty similar. I've had good results using 100T-Max with Ilford Perceptol. The result is a very fine grain image, nearly as fine as the old Technical Pan, however, the tone rendition is proably different from the Agfa film. I know it is somewhat different from Panatomic-X. Also, it does not have much edge effect (acutance) although the images are quite sharp. The combination has the advantage of being relatively fast, around EI-50, and having easily controllable contrast. Kodak Microdol-X and Perceptol are virtually identical so either should work. The developer is used full strength because it looses its extra-fine-grain property when diluted. I find that 35mm negatives begin to have the smooth tone quality typical of larger negatives.

---