[pure-silver] lens resolution

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:05:17 -0600

I was looking at an old issue of Darkroom Techniques today, from the early eighties. There are a lot of articles about grain, getting rid of grain, whether grain is bad or not, etc. In one article, the author says, "Virtually all lenses perform best somewhere near the middle of their aperture range and worst at, and near, the extremes."

Is this true? I don't quite understand this. If this is true, why do all those Ansel Adams and Weston prints shot at f/64 look so sharp?

Is it only true if you are enlarging 35mm negatives to 11x14 or larger?

(I understand that maybe it's not an issue at all with Weston's prints because they were all contact printed.)

--shannon