[pure-silver] Re: how old is too old?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:22:07 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 7:06 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: how old is too old?

Richard Knoppow wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney"
<shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 3:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] how old is too old?

I have some HP5+ that goes back to 2005. I've kept it in a cool dry place. Is it too old? Might it be slower or faster or what?

--shannon

Four years is not very old. High speed film tends to become foggy faster than slow film but HP-5 should still be pretty much like new. I would use it normally but not for applications requiring pushing. A slight uniform fog has little or no effect other than to lower effective speed a little since it adds arithmetically to all densities. Other answer, you have to shoot some to find out if its still OK. A long time ago I bought a couple of bricks of Verichrome Pan. I kept them in the refrigerator but not the freezer. I used the last roll when it was ten years beyond the expiration date. It had become somewhat foggy but still made good printable negatives. A faster film would
probably not have lasted that long.

--

Ahhhhh Verichrome - verily I miss thee (It's "Talk Like Shakespeare Day" here).

The subject line is really the premise of the old radio soap opera _The Romance of Helen Trent_, "The story that asks the question: can a woman find romance at 35 and... beyond?"

    I am giving away MY age here...