[pure-silver] Re: handpainting: which paper?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 07:58:20 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:15 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: handpainting: which paper?

paper is capable of. Rough textures and matte surfaces tend to lower overall contrast but lower especially the shadow and highlight contrast.

That's why I like glossy paper.

RC glossy or ferrotyped fiber glossy has the longest brightness range of all surfaces.

My tests also show that HP5+ has a real ISO the same as Ilford says: 400. But Delta 3200 for me really has an ISO of 600.

Both Delta 3200 and Kodak T-Max P3200 measure around EI-800 using the strict ISO method. The box speeds are push processing speeds as is implyed by the P in the T-Max name. The emulsions are designed to have a curve shape which allows a lot of pushing before the overall contrast becomes too great to print easily.

As far as hand coloring is concerned, any paper can be colored if you use a medium on it. Marshalls makes such a medium. It may even make coloring of textured surfaces easier.

Yes, Marshall's has a spray that you use on glossy paper before painting, but it's out of stock right now everywhere I've looked.

I think you can make this stuff. I will look in some old publications for formulas.

high contrast and great detail in the color. Most hand colored work looks at best like badly colorized movies.

Right, that's kind of the look I'm going for. I love the sort of "bad" look. It reminds me of these postcards of landscapes that we used to get in the sixties in NC, where the mountains were this weird blue color and the sky looked post-apocalyptic.

This look is often found in advertising in 1930's through 1950's magazines. Either the black and white photos are simply colored by a screen (ben-day screen) using perhaps two colors or they are two color half-tones. Two color work was cheaper than three color work and often found on inside page advertising. The two colors were usually chosen to reproduce caucasion skin reasonably well. Actually, the early Technicolor system was two-color plus, probably a black key. The two colors are a sort of cyan and a sort of orange. These two color systems have a limited gamut. For instance, when the colors mentioned above are used they can not reproduce blues (they come out blue-green) or reds (reproduced as orange or brown). Objects requiring colors outside the gamut were simply avoided. Technicolor also lowered the saturation of the color to make the inaccuracy less obvious although the overall contrast of the prints was high. Magazine illustration also tended to have low saturation but that was perhaps also due to the paper being used. In any case, its possible to get very much this look from hand coloring. The paints and dyes are transparent so that, for the most part, the gray scale of the image is that of the underlying B&W print. More intense and more accurate color can be had if desired but requires a lot more work and probably different kinds of colors.

---