[pure-silver] Re: depth of mat

  • From: "tOM Trottier" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:25:33 -0500

Put the print anywhere it looks good. You could have 1" borders top and
left, 9" bottom, 7" right - or anywhere in the frame. Make it deliberate and
suit the print.

Peace, tOM

On Saturday, November 08, 2008 at 19:41,
Bogdan Karasek <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

| Hi,
|
| It will look odd.  When I was in charge of the Co-Op art gallery in our
| neighbourhood,  I had to have people redo their mats because they looked
| odd and there is nothing worse on a gallery wall than a print that that
| looks odd in it's frame.  It throws the whole wall off.  What I would
| suggest is having the side borders at 4" and the top border at 4" also
| and the bottom at 6".  It's a visual trick but it works because now the
| 6" bottom is perceived as a base, pedestal, and the three sides and top
| are equal, 4"each.  You look at it and it looks fine.  The eye doesn't
| see it as odd because the whole frame is now balanced, whereas before,
| with the 5" top, the whole thing looks unbalanced and out of
| proportion.  I would also suggest that you sign just below the print on
| the 6" base.  Again, the eye will compensate. and it will  look  alright.
|
| The same principle of "tompe oeil"  applies when you are trying a hang a
| row of same sized frames in a straight line on a gallery wall.  Almost
| impossible to get it all in a straight line, all it takes is for one
| frame to be off by a 1/4 " and it will be noticed by everybody, so what
| you do is to deliberately hang them so that they are around the
| horizontal line  but off the line by a max of about 1-2" above and below
| your line, but the eye will find it acceptable  because all the frames
| are deliberately staggered.   But if you somehow manage 10 frames in a
| straight line and one is off by a 1/4",  believe me , it will drive you
| crazy.  I've done about 50 hangings and after the second hanging, I gave
| up on the straight line. And nobody ever commented on the lack of a
| staight line.  Go with the eye and not the ruler.
|
| Same with the matts, force the eye to see a balance and harmony.  If you
| keep the 5"at the top, you will always find that there is something
| wrong with the print.
|
| Hope this helps.
|
| Cheers,
| Bogdan
|
| KironKid@xxxxxxx wrote:
|
| > In a message dated 11/8/2008 3:28:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
| > shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
| >
| >     Let's say I print it at 8x10.  Then the top and
| >     bottom borders will have to be 5" but the side borders will be 4",
| >     fit in a 16x20 frame.
| >

| >     Won't that look very odd?
| >
| > Kiron Kid
| >
| > "A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that
| > reflects the spirit"

-- Absum! --
tOM Trottier,  +1 613 860-6633
469 Ancaster Ave,  Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6  Canada
http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
  Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel? /
  Do you really need to print this email?