[pure-silver] Re: compensating timers (RELATES TO: Re: Aristo VC 4500 enlarge...

  • From: Lee Carmichael <click76112@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:48:39 -0500

I have an Aristo VCL 4500 head on an Omega d2. I use a Metrolux II timer with this head. It is a fine combination in my estimation. I do split print most of the time.

lee\c

At 07:37 AM 4/3/2006, you wrote:
In a message dated 4/1/06 1:31:42 PM Central Daylight Time, shino@xxxxxxxxx writes:

i see a number of you use compensating timers.  now, my understanding
of the way they work is that the light from fluorescent gasses
is not stable and the timers basically integrate the output over time
until it determines that a complete exposure has been made.  this
sounds reasonable, however, with two tubes in a VCL, the erratic
output of tubes seems to imply that you would get unreproducible
contrasts, since contrast is controlled by the ratio of the green and
blue tubes.  if the tubes were stable enough for that NOT to happen,
then it seems to follow that the compensating timer is unnecessary.

is my thinking correct, or am i making some wrong assumptions?

That's the basic problem trying to use a compensating timer with a two bulb head. You may just have to use the split filter method and exposure each bulb separately. Each would then use a filtered photocell connected to a two channel timer to adjust exposure. But I suppose in reality both tubes would drift pretty close to each other. In other words the total drift would be much greater then the drift difference between the tubes. So just using a single photocell and compensating timer should be close enough. Or trade the thing in for a color head.
Chuck