[pure-silver] Re: comparing enlargers

  • From: "K" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:27:22 -0500

Janet Cull wrote:

Hello,

I use a Durst M605 enlarger.  I just got an e-mail from a friend
saying a fellow is selling this one:

    Omega B600 condenser enlarger, 35mm and 2 1/4 negative carriers.
    Excellent condition. $100.00

How does that compare with mine?  Mine works fine, though I know there
are no longer parts made for it.  I have no problems, though.  He also
has lenses and plenty of other "stuff".  I don't have room for 2
enlargers.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Janet

Before I'd spend $100 on an Omega B600, I'd go look for some version of
a D-2 in the same price range.  This would give you the option of 4x5
in the future and there are tons of accessories about on eBay an
in people's cellars ;)

Tim Daneliuk     tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd echo Mr Daneliuk's comment regarding the D-2 (especially a D2V [varible condenser] or D2vXL [extra long coluum- check your ceiling height!]). I've had a B22 and a D2V in my darkroom for many years, and both have served me well. I use the D2V for color prints by putting a filter pack above the variable condenser.

You say that you don't have room for two enlargers. Could it perhaps be that you don't have room for two enlarger baseboards? I have both of my enlargers side by side mounted directly to the countertop. This takes up less space than the two baseboards, and it gives me more flexibility in positioning the easel.

With people making the mistake of going to all digital (!), enlargers are a dime a dozen. I recently was given a complete Eseco Speedmaster AF45, just for picking it up. Now that one is a machine you definately need a lot of space for! Most likely, you will pay more for shipping than for an enlarger on the used (eBay) market.

(BTW, the Omega enlarger nomenclature tells you the film size: "A" is 35mm, "B" is 6x6cm, "D" is 4x5", "F" is 8x10". A "V" on the end is a varible condensor, "XL" on the end is a long coluum. )

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx