[pure-silver] Re: "archival pigment print" and parrots

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:47:27 -0500

That's interesting. I always thought English was one of the few languages without synonyms. My first language was Arabic, and I remember the distinction being made between the two languages by pointing out how many true synonyms Arabic contains (thousands) compared to English (almost none).

I guess it all depends on what the meaning of is is. There are plenty of related words in English, that do qualify as synonyms just as long their intended contextual use or meaning is understood. In a comedy routine, hen, fowl or chicken can be interchangeable without debate. But the words are different in origin, and intention, and meaning.

What I know, or think I know, about synonyms is summarized best in this wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synonym

I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time - it just means there's more to learn, and that's where all the fun is.

Monty Python were always excellent in their use of language. I'll have to look that one up.

E.

If you are in doubt about synonyms in English - listen to Monty Python's 'Dead Parrot' sketch. I heard a discussion on the radio recently where it was said that English is one of the few languages where a comedy sketch like this is possible because of the abundance of synonyms and euphemisms.