[pure-silver] Zeiss Lens Cloths

  • From: Jeffrey Krenzel <jkrenzel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:51:09 -0800 (PST)

I'm curious to hear what list members think of a
product called "Zeiss Lens Cloths."

These are "pre-moistened, non-abrasive" individually
packaged single-use little cloths that the box says
will "safely clean any lens, especially those with
Zeiss anti-reflective multilayer coatings."  This
product purports to use a "high-tech, ammonia-free
formula." The only ingredient listed on the packaging
is  isopropyl alcohol.

I bought this stuff cheap at Sam's Club to clean the
glass of my scanner and I wonder whether it can/should
be used with camera lenses.  It does not leave a
visible residue.

For my very infrequent lens cleaning, I have always
breathed on the lens and then wiped it gently with a
disposable Kodak tissue.  I just use a blower to zap
any visible dust.